Re: Compiled bytecode files location

On Fri, 2009-20-02 at 09:27 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> I think ‘/usr/lib/foo/’ is better than ‘/var/lib/foo/’ for program
> libraries such as *.py and *.pyc, so to that extent it's a significant
> improvement.

Why do you not follow FHS ?

	/usr/lib/foo	architecture dependent
	/usr/share/foo	architecture indepdendent

So *.py ( and *.pyc, iirc ) should be under /usr/share.

Yes:
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/pytut/CompiledPythonfiles.html
        The contents of the ‘spam.pyc’ file are platform independent, so
        a Python module directory can be shared by machines of different
        architectures.

There is a semi-recent discussion about changing the format but I see no
mention of breaking architecture independence.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2008-April/thread.html#1549

--
--gh