Re: Unit tests

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

>> Quoting "anatoly techtonik" <techtonik@gmail.com>:
>> > Even if most users don't need them, tests greatly increase the value
>> > of bugreports and doesn't bloat python packages too much.
>>
>> True. What do other people think of the issue?
>
> I think the judgement of “not bloat the package too much” is to be made
> with consideration of those users striving for a small system as their
> primary concern, e.g. those trying to install onto embedded systems with
> minimal storage.

Are there any such people here? Do they prefer different package
repository with stripped down binary packages like
http://wiki.debian.org/Embedded_Debian ?

> Also, the dependencies of a package that includes unit tests are
> generally greater; a significant amount of Python package unit test
> suites require additional packages, e.g. ‘python-nose’, that are not
> dependencies for the normal operation of the package.

Need more precise statistics. In my opinion 80% use standard unittest
and doctest, especially small packages or modules. If there are
dependencies like 'python-nose' - they would be optional anyway.

--
anatoly t.