Re: numpy 1.2.1, switching to git?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:26:29PM +0100, Carlos wrote:
>  Well, maybe we should distinguish between newcomers to the team and
> newcomers to VCS. A newcomer to the team could master one VCS, two or
> none of them, so it's impossible to know his (or her) preferences in
> advance. For a newcomer to VCS I really think that svn is easier to
> learn than git/hg/bzr but that's just my opinion.

If being easy to learn is a factor in deciding which to use, then this
should certainly not be based on opinions.  Ease of acquisition isn't
straightforward to objectively /determine/, but it's not a matter of
opinion.

My informed belief (as distinct from an opinion) is that if your intended
workflow is that of a central repository + checkouts, at the very least svn
is not easier to teach than bzr, and possibly not easier to teach than
hg/git; but that the absolute ceiling is much lower for svn than for DVCS.
The real danger is that most people who know DVCSes aren't content to teach
people how to use them like svn. ;)

I agree with Scott that workflow documentation is really the single biggest
factor in how approachable this will be to new contributors.