Re: Django 1.0 - Possibility of a freeze exception?

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM, David Spreen <netzwurm@debian.org> wrote:
> the Django project will release their version 1.0 in the beginning of
> next week.

Hope so!

> 2. It is unlikely that version 0.96 will receive ongoing security
> support from upstream for long after 1.0.

I think it's the strongest argument for the Release Team, having a
package that is really likely to have no support upstream (it's been
stated that the 0.96 will be abandoned shortly if my memory serves
well (?)) is not nice. And Django does not affect any other packages
in lenny that I'm aware of. So, lots of emphasys could be put on this
point!

> 3. Due to changes in the admin and form applications, Django 1.0 will be
> backwards incompatible with 0.96 and the old stable version's use in
> Debian might be questionable.

That's the second super point, nobody will want 0.96 to work over it
when it's incompatible in so many ways with 1.0 (to not say in almost
any reasonable use case, just look at the BackwardsIncompatibleChanges
wiki page from Django).

> Let me know what you think and how to best approach the release managers
> with this.

As said: I'd really like to see that happen. The maintenance and the
"nobody will use it in 0.96" are to very good points for the release
team, just be polite with them (and promise some beers if needed, hehe
;)

> Most importantly, you can help this effort by testing the
> python-django_1.0~beta1-1 package that is currently in experimental. I
> am already using it in my own work.

Do you plan to add a python-django-doc now that beta2 included the
docs-refactor stuff? (a "make html" inside the docs/ directory will
make you happy!)

> Also let me know if any of you are planning on going to the Django
> release party in Mountain View next week.

Not me, too far (for those dates at least). Have a nice party :)

Hope you convince RT.

Regards,
Marc

--