Problem with python boost libraries on amd64?

Hello,

I'm maintaining Debian packages of mapnik[0], a C++ library with python
bindings. A bug has been reported with mapnik that I'm having trouble
getting to the bottom of:

I've reproduced the issue on an amd64 box, but not a i386 one. Some
googling suggests that Py_InitModule4 was renamed on 64 bit platforms;
however, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed with this issue. Is
it a bug in my package, or a bug in the boost package, or something
else?

Any hints would be much appreciated. I'm somewhat out of my depth here :)

Thanks,
Dominic.

[0] http://www.mapnik.org/