installing modules and extensions in packages (python sense) in separate directories

As pointed out in [1], the split of a package (in the python sense)
with extensions and modules into two different directories leads to
a changed import order and should be avoided. I.e. this kind of
package must be installed into one place.

Looking at python-support I can only see one possibilty to package
this kind of package, duplicating all files for all supported python
versions in /usr/lib/python2.X, significantly increasing the package
size. Is there another way to support this or is this the only option?

  Matthias

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2006/01/msg00065.html