Re: FTWCA python-central vs pyhton-support

Joe Wreschnig writes:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 09:33 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > [ Please don't keep the BTS cced if you reply unless you want to express a
> > concern about the dh_python implementation suggested by the bug ]
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Matthias has been working on integrating python-central support in
> > dh_python and submitted #370833:

> > This dh_python will use python-central for any binary package with a
> > XB-Python-Version: field. There's no optional python-support either.
> >
> > So anyone unhappy with python-central should really come up with another
> > dh_python implementation RSN.
>
> Previously we rolled back Joss's patch because Matthias didn't like it,

no, not because I didn't like it, because it didn't work.

> and it took him several months to write a new one. Plus, Joss's patch
> actually worked, and formed the basis of a system that's now in common
> use (python-support).

I didn't see any rewrite.

> Since then, a new policy -- from Matthias -- has made that patch
> invalid. It's unfair (at best) to demand someone write a replacement
> Real Soon Now, when this *is* a replacement, and not soon at all, and
> pycentral got a head start because it designed the new policy.

If you start speaking about fairness, please consider that
python-support was uploaded to unstable without any discussion, with
dh_python forcing python-support for every rebuild of a package.  In
#370833 Joss claims that "it was decided at debconf to use
python-support for python modules".  That's plain wrong.  I do not
understand why somebody tries to make a point by telling nonsense.

I didn't see any updates for python-support in the past months, Joss
refused to change python-support, therefore I did move on with
python-central, which is now in unstable as well.  I made it clear at
debconf that it's not a likely option to support both management tools
in the python packages.

  Matthias