Re: python-central vs python-support

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > > please read again. I'm not talking about shared modules.
> >
> > I've read "If we do want to drop the Provides for packages where they are
> > not needed, we need it for shared modules as well."
> >
> > It's that part that I'm questioning.
>
> How do you tell about packages which need a rebuild (by looking at the
> package database)?

The whole point of python-support/python-central is that modules do not
need to be rebuilt for a newer python version. So what are you trying to
address here?

> > > ... or private modules.

> > > i.e. zope2.x
> > >
> > > we have to keep that information for packages with private modules
> > > using a non-standard version of python as well.
> >
> > What's the problem with private modules ?
> >
> > AFAIK the only "issue" is handling of bytecompilation and this problem is
> > already under control by the packages which really benefit from
> > bytecompilation.
> >
> > Am I wrong? If yes, what do we want to improve?
>
> How do you see, that a package with private data using the default
> python version needs a rebuild?

Same question as above: unless that package uses private extensions
(which I haven't seen yet) why does it need to be rebuilt?

Raphaël Hertzog