Opinions on pychecker bug 137320?

Hi,

I've taken over the pychecker package from Arto Jantunen, and I'm
looking over the remaining bugs.  One of the three is #137320:

It requests that the Pychecker modules be installed in the Python search
path, so they can be imported, rather than in /usr/share/pychecker.
(The modules are intended to be used this way; it's one of the
documented usage scenarios described on the upstream website.)

Arto declined to do this because it would "cost [him] the ability to
support all available versions of python and the ability to select the
version to use".  In the meantime, the bug submitter has been working
around this with a hand-maintained soft-link.

I think that this bug is important enough to be dealt with, and I'm
looking for opinions on the best way to do it.

Right now, what I am thinking of doing is creating a set of
pythonX.Y-pychecker packages. The pychecker package would depend on
python2.3-pychecker and would suggest the rest.  The /usr/bin/pychecker
wrapper would be changed to use /usr/bin/python2.3 by default. If the
user used $PYTHONVER to specify an alternate version other than 2.3, the
wrapper would look for the Python modules in the appropriate
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages directory and call /usr/bin/pythonX.Y.
If the site-packages directory was not found, the wrapper would return
an error something like "Pychecker modules not available for python
version X.Y; install the pythonX.Y-pychecker package first." I assume
that I would provide packages and support for all "standard" Debian
Python versions (right now 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3); requesting an
unsupported version with $PYTHONVER would result in an error.

The main thing I think this loses over the existing solution is that the
wrapper script would no longer directly support using the pychecker
modules with a version of Python that is in the user's $PATH but is not
managed by dpkg.  I see this to be of little consequence, but I don't
know how others feel about it.

Anyone have an opinion about this plan? Is there a downside or some big
hole I'm missing here?  Or is there some reason why I would want to
leave the modules in /usr/share/pychecker rather than in the various
site-packages directories?

Thanks for the feedback.

KEN

--