Re: Support for Python2.1 and Python2.2

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:35:42PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Alexandre Fayolle <Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:53:07AM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> >> But it is OK to drop 2.1/2.2 support for packages that nothing depends on?
> >
> > -1
> >
> if -1:
>    print "parsed as true"
> else:
>    print "parsed as false"

My fault, I thought I was on python-dev (where -1 stands for 'I vote
against this', see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0010.html)

> > Developers are using such packages to check that their work will work on
> > several python versions.
> >
> > For example, I recently had to work for a customer using AIX 4.3, and
> > which required my program to work with python2.1, and I was *very* happy
> > to find python2.1 and libraries on my debian box to test my work.
> >
> OK, so keep them around until the version in question is dropped from
> the archive?

This would be nice. Or until upstream drops support for 2.1.

If you already support 2.2 and 2.3, then supporting
2.1 does not require much more work (since you already have to deal with
multiple calls to setup.py, alternatives, etc.), and it is of great
value to people who work with python and have to support legacy
versions.

Now this leaves us with the question: how long should Debian ship
python2.1?

--
Alexandre Fayolle
LOGILAB, Paris (France).