Python upgrade, dependencies of python-numeric

I see python-numeric and python-numeric-ext have versioned dependencies
on the python meta package. It doesn't look necessary to me, there are
python2.2-numeric and python2.1-numeric packages, these depend on the
required python versions. If it weren't for the dependencies I just
mentioned, one could upgrade python-numeric before doing a full python
upgrade... (I still have a couple of packages holding my python on 2.1.)

Hugo van der Merwe

Sorry, I'm not on the list, please CC.