Re: Question for the transition

Neil Schemenauer <nas@debian.org> writes:

> Mikael Hedin wrote:
> > I think the proposed scheme with python2.1 and module2.0 et.al. is
> > really ugly and messy.
>
> I agree.  Didn't the Perl packagers advise us not to go down this
> path?

  There is only one Perl in Debian now , which is 5.6.x. So, there are
  no more -5.6 and 5.005 perl packages (except for dummy packages for
  the transition).

  The major question is: do we still need to ship 1.5.2? Unfortunately,
  the old python seems to be necessary since some old packages are not
  compatible with 2.x versions.

  I would advice to audit every package in order to see if it can run
  with newer pythons and we may come up with droping a few python modules
  rather than shipping multiple pythons, I don't know ...

  However, I'm sure that the problem will come again with next versions
  of the interpreter (like 3.0). So IMHO, we'll need to install multiple
  python in the future. Then, better think about this right now rather
  than realizing that we were wrong at the very last minute.

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>
              <jerome@marant.org>