Re: Intent for NMU of python-2.1 packages

Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@mediasupervision.de> writes:

[...]

> Please provide me with feedback if I should make this radical
> transition. I would then go on and upload python1.5 and python2.1
> (perhaps even a python2.0 source package to ease the migration). The
> existing python (and python2) packages would be removed by this upload
> (the packages built from python.orig.tar.gz, that is).
>
> Python package maintainers should then change their packages to build
> python1.5-* and python2.1-* packages (python2.0 if needed), and make
> them depend on python1.5-base etc. That would remove the need for
> versioned dependencies.

I don't believe Python 2.0 is needed.  I definitely support getting
new Python 2.1 packages into the archive by whatever means necessary.

AFAICS, for "apt-get dist-upgrade" to work, it should only be
necessary for new Python 1.5 and Python 2.1 packages to Conflict with
"python-base" and "python2-base", and for all other packages to change
to depend on one of the new versions instead of the old.  apt will
hopefully choose to remove python-base, and everything that depends on
it, in order to install python2.1-base, or whatever.

(However, it's quite possible I don't understand how apt makes its
decisions.)

	You think you know... what's to come... what you are.