Arduino is back on Debian

Dear Publicity Team,

I'm happy to announce that the latest version of Arduino, (probably) the
most widespread platform for programming AVR micro-controllers, is now
packaged and uploaded onto Debian unstable [1]. The last version of
Arduino that was readily available in Debian was 1.0.5, which dates back
to 2013. It's been years of trying and failing but finally, after a
great months-long effort from Carsten Schoenert and yours truly, we've
got a working package for the latest Arduino. After over 7 years now,
users will be able to install the Arduino IDE as easy as "apt install
arduino" again.

The purpose of this e-mail is not just to announce this new upload but
actually more of a request for testing. The title could very well be
"WANTED: Beta Testers for Arduino" (dead or alive :P) We would
appreciate if anyone with the tools and knowledge for it could give the
package a try and let us know if he/she finds any issues with it.

[1]: https://packages.debian.org/unstable/arduino

I would like to take the opportunity to thank every previous
contributors to the package and the members of the Debian Electronics
Team. This feat would have not been achievable without them.

Whether this bit is worth nothing, a spot in the micronews or a place in
the Project News or maybe just forwarding to the announce list, I'll let
you guys decide. If you need any more information please let me know. I
could help with translating this to Spanish (my mother tongue) if
required.

Thank you very much and happy hacking!

Regards,

--