Re: improved previews when sharing posts on social media

Hi Paolo

Sorry for the late reply.

El 3/8/19 a las 17:10, Paolo Greppi escribió:
> Hi,
>
> open graph data for bit posts are hard-coded here:
> https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/bits/blob/master/theme-bits/templates/base.html#L15
>

> This results in the same, generic caption/image preview when any post is shared
> via social media.
> I attach samples for linkedin (link preview while drafting a new post) and
> mastodon (actual post from Debian @debian@fosstodon.org)
>
> Both posts had nice images that could enhance diffusion via resharing:
> https://bits.debian.org/2019/07/debconf19-starts.html
> https://bits.debian.org/2019/07/debconf19-closes.html
>
> I prepared a MR to make these data dynamic:
> https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/bits/merge_requests/40

Thanks for this.

> The added burden is that whenever a preview image is available, the Image: field
> should be added to each article metadata.

This is a tiny burden compared with the benefit :-)

> As a test, I have done that for all 2019 posts.

Thanks

> This should result in better shares on all social media.

I have reviewed the changes included in this merge request, and merged it
locally, and tried to build the blog locally too.

I got no errors, and I see the new tags  <meta property="og:* in place in the
generated htmls.

So it seems that all this works, but I guess we need to merge it in production
to see it in action.

The merge request also removes the file:
https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/bits/blob/master/output/.gitkeep
which I guess it's unrelated, and frankly, I don't know if it should be there or
we can remove it safely.

If nobody complains, I plan to merge the proposal in a few days.
Thanks again!

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina