Re: Shared info. about debian buster release.

at bottom :-

On 22/04/2019, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:

<snipped>

> "Debian plans to include python2.7 throughout the buster release.  It is
> rare  for Debian to remove a package from a stable release during the
> lifetime of that release."
>
> Debian does have a procedure for ending security support for a package
> prior to the end of life of the release including that package.  Se the
> debian-security-support package for tools to determine if security
> support has been ended.  Such packages are retained in the release,
> security updates are not provided.  Even that procedure is rarely used.
>
> I was not able to find a position statement on whether we expect to be
> able to provide python2.7 security support throughout buster, but I
> didn't look more than 20 minutes or so.  I'm confident in being quoted
> on the part I quote above, but do not have sufficient personal knowledge
> to comment on whether we'll be able to provide python2.7 security
> support throughout buster.
>
> If you have not read https://lwn.net/Articles/756628/ I'd recommend
> doing so.  If you can get access to a recording of the session
> referenced in that article, it might help you.

Dear Sam,

Thank you for sharing that link. I was under the impression that
Debian had a release goal of moving completely away from Python 2  to
3 as shared in Python release roadmap . [1]

Specifically the part of Getting to no-python2-by-default .

I also had a look at python3 readiness chart as well [2] . Anyways,
have shared the change or modification with my editor that Debian
would be supporting both Python 2.7 as well as Python 3.7 throughout
its life- lifecyle.

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Python/StretchRoadmap
2. http://py3readiness.org/

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C