Re: should debian comment about the recent 'ransomware' malware.

at bottom :-

On 17/05/2017, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

<snipped>

>> Actually, we might want to issue an statement to _Debian_ users
>> reminding them the value and necessity of keeping their Debian systems
>> up-to-date.  Maybe point to our automated solutions that remind and/or
>> apply security updates automatically.
>
> That's a good idea -- especially given that by default Jessie with Gnome
> doesn't bother alerting people about new updates (#678340).
>
> A patch to fix that bug has been in the report for about 18-months,
> without a comment, which is pretty depressing for a security critical
> bug.  Of course, it's only security critical because it effectively
> leaves people running without security support, so I guess the urgency
> is somehow not immediately obvious.  Also, fixing it doesn't actually
> help as much as one would hope, given that the affected people might
> never install the fix.
>
> Cheers, Phil.
> --
> |)|  Philip Hands  [+44 (0)20 8530 9560]  HANDS.COM Ltd.
> |-|  http://www.hands.com/    http://ftp.uk.debian.org/
> |(|  Hugo-Klemm-Strasse 34,   21075 Hamburg,    GERMANY

Dear all,

That's the same thing I am striving for. It would be good if we can
warn our users to have updated software and also share with them some
good security practises. Probably a wiki page on the wiki.debconf.org
is better as it can be edited and updated by one and all rather than
being needed to be reviewed for posting on site (debian.org) .  In
this regard, maybe a pad somewhere and a name which people think
should be good enough we could start pooling all the advices given
above .

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल