Re: have new packages listed on the debian landing page

    Hi,

* shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> [2017-05-06 22:32:50 CEST]:
> On 06/05/2017, Laura Arjona Reina <larjona@debian.org> wrote:
> > https://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/newpkg list only the last 7 days
> > and the DPN is not that frequent, hence the manual work needed to
> > perodically grab the list and select.
>
> I didn't know the existence of
> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/newpkg. Although I'm curious
> to know why we are limited to 7 days news only. Could somebody share
> the reasoning for that as I'm sure there is ?  :(

 The reasoning is lost in history.  Most probably it is like "there was
a number needed" and that sounded useful.  I am only assuming here, so I
might be totally wrong, but before the DPN was renamed it was called
Debian Weekly News, was published by an extremely active person who was
also involved in the website team.  If there ever was a reason, it was
set ages ago and never really questioned.

 Also, given that the list currently seems to consist of 902 packages
right now, the 7 days is a useful limit to not let the page size explode
like the quite unusable https://www.debian.org/devel/people page. :)

> Could we have a service that isn't limited to just a week but just
> goes on, I specifically like the age view and with some filters, we
> could have ourselves a winner. I don't know/think it would be that big
> as it's textual  and be highly compressed and have it stored somewhere
> where the list could be downloaded with reference to dates and all are
> happy.

 UDD[1] can help you with that.  It stores a lot of data so I would be
very surprised if it wouldn't be possible to extract that information
from there somehow.
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase/

 You can get to UDD from alioth, with "psql service=udd" and try to
figure out the data structure.  From what I remember when I queried some
things from there (which was years ago) the structure wasn't too
complicated, the tables and columns have useful names to figure out how
it's organised.

> I dunno wml or even how to parse wml files

 It's plain html most of the times, with additional possibilities of
embedding perl code or use an pre processor which supports includes and
other things.  For helping with the content all that is needed is a
minimum of html knowledge - but not even that.  Helping with writing
paragraphs is already a big help, the formating can be
checked/fixed/applied by others, too.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda