Slug: debian-perl-sprint-2016
Date: 2016-07-04 20:14
Author: Alex Muntada
Tags: perl, sprint, zrh2016

Six members of the [Debian Perl](https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup) team met in Zurich over the weekend from May 19 to May 22 to continue the development around perl for Stretch and to work on QA across 3000+ packages.

The participants had a good time, met friends from local groups and even found some geocaches. Obviously, the [sprint](https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2016/DebianPerlSprint) was productive this time too:

* 36 bugs were filed or worked on, 28 uploads were accepted.
* The plan to get Perl 5.24 transition into Stretch was confirmed, and a [test rebuild server](http://perl.debian.net/) was set up.
* Cross building XS modules was demoed, and the conditions where it is viable were discussed.
* Several improvements were made in the team packaging tools, and new features were discussed and drafted.
* A talk on downstream distribution aimed at CPAN authors was proposed for [YAPC::EU 2016](http://act.yapc.eu/ye2016).