Re: Booth at FSCONS 2012

Hey!

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:

>> It works great until the partitions are scanned for a Debian ISO. Then
>> the installer hangs on scanning /dev/sda3. It is possible to change vt
>> and drop a shell but executing anything just hangs the shell.
>
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:01:49 +0100, Per Andersson wrote:
>> It still hangs on iso-scan of /dev/sda3 (the extended partition). A
>> wild guess is
>> that iso-scan can't handle it correctly, last thing in the logs state that it is
>> waiting for /dev/sda2. (Is this a bug in iso-scan, being confused about how to
>> handle extended partitions?)
>
> You have probably hit (which seem to be the same bug):
>
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=627163#60>
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683706>
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686786>
>   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=691922>

This is it.

>> Can I prepare /dev/sda3 somehow?
>
> Well, there is no point in preparing it, because anyway partman will
> play with it at the next cycle.

I thought the error occurred while scanning /dev/sda3 but it occurs when
scanning /dev/sda2 of course.

> My suggestion would be to use previous debian-installer hd-media images,
> the Debian Events Box was used at FOSDEM 2012, thus images from that
> period would work.

I tried with d-i dailys from 20120101-00:32 but then there is a kernel mismatch
with the one in the archive, and the installer hangs on the question.

> I do not have access to that machine right now, but
> I do tomorrow, so if you do not find anything useful, I can always
> upload them somewhere.

As a workaround for this weekends booth, is it possible to preseed the path to
the installation media and avoid using iso-scan totally? In fact, any hack to
circumvent the iso-scan hang will work.

Best,
Per