Re: [Debconf-team] Press release following DebConf/government meeting

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

> Correct literal translations for the name would be "Serb Republic" or
> "Serbian Republic".  Both of these are problematic because they can be
> confused with Serbia - Banja Luka is NOT in Serbia.  "Republic of Srpska" is
> a mistranslation, despite its apparent official use by the Serb Republic's
> government.  The only universally safe option is to leave the name
> untranslated as "Republika Srpska", which seems to be what English-language
> news outlets are doing.
>
> I recommend the following:
>
>  s/Government of Serbia/Government of the Bosnian Serb Republic/
>  s/Banja Luka, Serbia/Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina/

Maybe "Banja Luka, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina"?

Would be just like "Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany"

>  s/Republic of Srpska (Serbia Republic)/Republika Srpska (Bosnian Serb Republic)/
>  s/Republic of Srpska/the Republika Srpska/

+1, despite some advices that could say "just use the name use by
local authorities even if it is technically wrong". The Wikipedia page
even mentions that "Republika Srpska" is what's most commonly used in
English-speaking news sources such as newspapers (and those know how
to be very careful about names).

Indeed, as we have some contacts with the "RoS" government, we should
maybe explain them how "Republic of Srpska" sounds weird to our very
picky ears..:-) (*just* kidding)