Re: Press release following DebConf/government meeting

On Wednesday 01 June 2011 12:49:27 Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:44, Moray Allan wrote:
> > After our meeting with Science and Technology MInister of the
> > government of Republika Srpska on 23 May, they were keen for us to put
> > out a press release mentioning the meeting and their support.  They
> > put out their own version that day, which has since been translated
> > into English -- see the attachment at
> > http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20110528.110343.2d920114.en.html
> >
> > It would be good if we could put something out quickly, even if it
> > doesn't do much more than rephrase their version from our perspective
> > and add the standard footer texts explaining Debian/DebConf.
>
> Here is a first draft;
>
> ---
>
> The Debian project would like to announce a meeting held between the
> Government of Serbia and DebConf11 representatives on the occasion of the
> upcoming Debian conference, DebConf11, to be held in Banja Luka, Serbia.

I do not believe the meeting was with the Government of Serbia, was it?  I
thought it was with the government of Republika Srpska, which is a province of
Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Banja Luka is not in Serbia.  Either of "Banja Luka, Republika Srpska" or
"Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina" would be correct but as each probably
causes offence to someone maybe it is best left as just "Banja Luka"!

> The meeting with the Minister of Science and Technology, Prof. Dr. Jasmin
> Komić, was to discuss the upcoming DebConf11 and to familiarize the Debian
> representatives with the city and the venue for the conference. The
> DebConf11 delegation consisted of Dr. Moray Allan, Holger Levsen and a
> representative of the NGO “DIVA” from Tuzla, Adnan Hodžić.
>
> Dr. Jasmin Komić expressed support for the conference in his official
> capacity for the Republic of Srpska (Serbia Republic) and said “we expect

I would remove the "(Serbia Republic)".  That may cause confusion with
"Serbia" (a separate country) and, in any case, Debian should avoid being
drawn into the controversial issue of the status of Republika Srpska by just
using "Republika Srpska" and "Republic of Srpska" which are the formal Serbian
and English language names of the entity.

Graham