announcing squeeze-updates via Debian News

I bet several Lenny + volatile users has completely missed the
announcement of squeeze-updates [1] (and empirical tests over IRC seem
to confirm that :-)). Even if it is properly documented in the release
notes, we all know that a lot of people won't read all of them. ... and
even if it is their fault, I think we should try to reach out to how
many users as possible with this change.

After all, even backports becoming official is part of the release
notes, but nonetheless we announced it via Debian News [2].

So, how about reusing Phil text sent to
debian-volatile-announce@lists.d.o and turn it into a Debian News item?
The relevant part of the text is attached, converter (very naively!) to
WML.

Cheers.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile-announce/2011/msg00000.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100905

The Debian Volatile archive is discontinued starting from the upcoming Debian
release 6.0 (squeeze).  It is replaced by the suite squeeze-updates on the
official mirrors.  Its management will move to the Debian Release Team, who
already manage regular updates to Debian stable and oldstable.

This suite will contain updates that satisfy one of the following criteria:

<ul>
<li>The update is urgent and not of a security nature.  Security updates will
   continue to be pushed through the security archive.  Examples include
   packages broken by the flow of time (c.f. spamassassin and the year 2010
   problem) and fixes for bugs introduced by point releases.</li>
<li>The package in question is a data package and the data must be updated in a
   timely manner (e.g. tzdata).</li>
<li>Fixes to leaf packages that were broken by external changes (e.g.  video
   downloading tools and tor).</li>
<li>Packages that need to be current to be useful (e.g. clamav).</li>
</ul>

These updates will also be included in the next stable point release after the
announcement.  Regular updates not fitting the criteria above will be pushed
through point releases according to the rules of the Stable Release Management.

The squeeze-updates suite is carried by all official mirrors just like squeeze
itself.  To use it, a snippet such as the following can be used
in <kbd>/etc/apt/sources.list<kbd>:

<pre>
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main
</pre>

Announcements about stable updates pushed through squeeze-updates will be
published
on <a href="mailto:debian-stable-announce@lists.debian.org";>debian-stable-announce@lists.debian.org</a>.
To subscribe please visit
its <a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-stable-announce/";>web page</a>.

Lenny's Volatile suite might still get updates on a case-by-case basis after
the release of Squeeze as the next stable version.