Re: Debian Magazine

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:49:39PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> I propose that we ask Ubuntu User magazine if we can contribute
> quarterly a roughly two page section of their magazine specifically
> devoted to Debian news. I imagine its readers would like this - I know
> I would. Debian could then cull information from the now fairly
> regular Debian Project News publication,

Hi Jeremiah, thanks for this idea, I find it intriguing indeed.

If the Ubuntu people agree, providing a Debian column it's something I
find both interesting and useful. My experience with the Ubuntu
community is that they are really interested in Debian and that there is
a huge communication gap to be filled about how the two distros can
collaborate.  In particular, I think the column can be a nice media to
explain why it's in the interest of Free Software in general to ensure
that every vendor in the distribution "pipeline" should push upstream
their changes and give credit upstream; those are area where both Ubuntu
and Debian have room for improvements, possibly showing others how
upstream-downstream relationship should look like.

This is just an example of a message we might want to convey via such a
columns, I'm sure people will have others.

At the same time, I think that the magazine should remain an Ubuntu
thingie, to which Debian contributes since there are people interested
in doing that. That is to say that if we go for the column, I don't
think we should advertise it as a Debian magazine or on our official
media, as it won't be one. As I've explained elsewhere [1] I don't think
we should special case Ubuntu in anyway, including our communication
media.

> Does this sound viable? If both the Debian and Ubuntu User side think
> it is viable, it would be nice to get together perhaps on IRC or on
> the Debian-publicity mailing list and we can begin to sketch out how
> this cooperation might work.

It does sounds viable to me and if it can pave the way to a future
Debian magazine, even better!

As a shameless plug, I've recently encountered at some recent events
Debian enthusiasts that happen to be journalists and I've pointed them
to the Debian Publicity team. I've no idea whether anything concrete
will come out of those intentions, but my gut feeling is that there are
out there people willing to contribute their writing skills. Maybe we
should think about a targeted request for help for those kind of
people.</braindump>

Cheers.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/08/msg00708.html

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams