Re: DPN RC bugs statistics (was Re: Debian Project News 2010/10 frozen. Please review and translate)

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
>>> Ah, I think that was introduced recently, when the paragraph was
>>> rewritten.  Maybe it should be more something like: "The [bts] currently
>>> knows about 302 release-critical bug reports.  Ignoring bugs multiple
>>> reported bugs, bugs which are easily solved or on the way to being
>>> solved, [..]".
>> That's getting a bit tangled.  You mean
>>
>>    Ignoring multiply reported bugs and ones which are easily solved
>>    or on the way to being solved, roughly speaking, about XXX release
>>    critical bugs remain to be solved for the release to happen.
>>
>> Could "bugs which are easily solved or on the way to being solved"
>> be simplified to "ones that have a fix available"?
>
> Not exactly, since "solving" a bug is not always "fixing" it. For
> example, the presence of a serious bug in a non-free package can be
> solved via package removal.

If the statistic we're trying to explain counts only bugs in main it
should probably say so less indirectly:

   Counting only unique bugs affecting Squeeze main with no fix
   available, roughly speaking, about XXX release-critical bugs
   remain to be solved for the release to happen.

(Or for a minimal fix, "ones with a solution available" would cover
it, but I was specifically trying to reduce the number of
repetitions of "solve/solution".)

>>   What category are
>> security-upload candidates meant to be in?
>
> What do you mean? What category are security bugs meant to be in?

To quote http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/RC-Stats:
# And we can ignore security related bugs as well (29). The bad
# thing is that this number will never hit 0 since security problems
# are detected all the time and thus these bugs come in all the
# time. The nice thing is that they can be fixed after the release
# via a security update, so we can (more or less) safely ignore them
# for our statistics, too.
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
                  Ininnukalaarniarlungaana