Re: HTML errors in DPN pages

Peter Krefting <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:
> MJ Ray:
>
> > Moreover, a name cannot be only a number.  See
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-id
>
> An anchor name can (<a name="1"> is valid), but it is not allowed using
> the current syntax (using the id attribute: <h1 id="1">foobar</h1> is
> not valid, while <h1 id="topic1">foobar</h1> is). The <a name>
> construct was, IIRC, deprecated when HTML 4 was introduced ten years
> ago.

Yes, you may be right.  HTML 4 says both that name is CDATA (not NAME
as I incorrectly linked above) and that it shares a namespace with id
(which is the ID and NAME type I linked to above).

You're definitely right that name is now deprecated.  It should be
phased out when someone gets time.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef