Fwd: [DRAFT FOR REVIEW]Debian GNU / Linux Suite Telecentro helps to include 4 million users yearly into the digital society

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Andre Felipe Machado wrote:
> Hello,
> Please, review, correct and improve the proposed draft [0], reproduced
> below.
> The contributions should be done directly [1] at the draft [0] and
> debates at this mailing list.
> What is the correct form to refer to people with physical disabilities
> into a public statement?

Hola Andre,

Hizo algunas cambios en-linea.
Cualquier dudas, o fallas, me aviso.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability
is a condition or function judged to be significantly impaired relative to the usual standard of an individual of their group.
It is a challenge to be politically correct. :)  Regardless of the language.

> (English is not my native language....)
> Also, it may be worth to choose a better and shorter title.
> The draft is open for contributions until Wednesday the 7th of May 2008,
> 18:00 GMT.
> Regards.
> Andre Felipe
>
>[0]
>http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/DebianTimesTeam/Drafts/SuiteTeleCentro
>[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/DebianTimesTeam/Guidelines

Please, review, correct and improve the proposed draft [0], reproduced
below.
The contributions should be done directly [1] at the draft [0] and
debates at this mailing list.
What is the correct form to refer to people with physical disabilities
into a public statement?
(English is not my native language....)
Also, it may be worth to choose a better and shorter title.
The draft is open for contributions until Wednesday the 7th of May 2008,
18:00 GMT.
Regards.
Andre Felipe

[0]
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/DebianTimesTeam/Drafts/SuiteTeleCentro
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity/DebianTimesTeam/Guidelines

Debian GNU/Linux Suite Telecentro: millions of users for the digital society

The Brazilian Debian GNU / Linux Suite Telecentro is the custom solution
for the Digital Inclusion Program of Banco do Brasil, used in
approximately 2000 telecentres and computer rooms. The program is implemented country wide
through various partners as local community and Non Governmental
Organizations. The program is already at 953 cities, with more than
40,000 donated computers, 2900 instructors trained, four groups of
"people with special needs" (1) trained in advanced Java, and more than 4
million low-income users benefited annually.

With 646,000 total downloads from its Brazilian development site on Codigo
Livre, the customized Debian GNU/Linux Suite Telecentro is in the top
five among the 1934 projects hosted.

The Suite Telecentro, for use at telephone centers (telecentres), allows for the utilisation of
older, lower performance computer hardware as terminals for LTSP servers. Through this technology, a telecentre needs only one machine with a more up-to-date processor and more memory, where all software will be executed.
The less capable terminals act only as graphical interfaces.

Gilson Jardim, Free Software Digital Inclusion Team, Banco do Brasil IT
Board, stated in an interview to Debian Times that the Suite Telecentro
project chose Debian GNU/Linux as its foundation because of the Debian
Project commitment to Free Libre Software, and the documentation quality
that allows easy customization of the Debian Installer. The main
advantages of using Debian GNU/Linux for Suite Telecentro are the easy
system, packages and services installation; upgrade and configuration; and
the inherent stability and security of the system.

The stable version contains the KDE graphical environment which runs
over LTSP. The user remotely executes the OpenOffice.org office suite, the Firefox web browser and the Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program).

The Suite Telecentro also includes the telecentre management software
Ocara, developed by the IT department of Banco do Brasil, which has already
migrated 50,000 desktops and 15,000 ATMs to GNU/Linux; 90,000
OpenOffice.org installations; and is a big user of PostgreSQL with
Sequoia and its dependencies: Apache, MySQL and PHP.

The latest stable version, 1.1-7, was developed on Debian GNU/Linux
3.1 Sarge. The next version 2.0 is upcoming. At April 2008, the Beta
10-8 version is available for download. The new features over previous
stable version are:

      * Based on Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 Etch operating system.
      * Gnome graphical desktop environment

      * Very simplified instalation process
      * MediaWiki

      * The "menu_telecentro" script, with options to create boot
        diskettes, enable and configure remote terminals (video, mouse,
        swap-file configurations and reconfigurations), modify MySQL
        passwords.

(1) people with physical disabilities.