Re: Etch release advertisement.

Christopher Howard:

Be nice to have it ready the week of the Etch release,
so all the PR happens at the same time.
--

Lauro: Yeah, that's what I thought. At least the
newspaper ads, if it happens, should be all on the

--
Christopher Howard:

As far as newspaper ads, how about making a number of
jpg files that
local users can put in their local metro papers?  I
think I may be able
to get some friends together to pay for a quarter
tabloid page ad. Maybe
have a contest to produce the jpg files.
--
Lauro: That's a good idea too. If we come up with 3
types of ads, different sizes, maybe different

>Gustavo Franco wrote:
> What do you think if we start asking for donations
to >a Debian Etch
> release ad in something big in the press and Linux
>related ? This idea
> is similar to what Mozilla did for Firefox, but i
>would prefer avoid
> use the donated money in a non-linux communication
>channel.

Interesting idea, something like the Spread Firefox
campagne.

However before I'd like some general questions:

 . What would we want to achieve with the ad?

 . Where should it be printed?

 . Who prepares the ad?

 . How large should it be?
   (Maybe smaller depending on less money?)

 . What exactly should be referenced?
--
Lauro:
 Introduce free and opensource is not the general idea
for me. I think we should announce Debian just like
any other proprietary software ad would be. Ok, I know
you don't have to introduce Windows when you put an ad
on a magazine, but introduce foss is kinda boring to
those whose listen. Just a plain message: this is a
new version of a really good OS you can use to do all
you want/need. Of course, it's necessary to highlight
its features, saying they can use their existing
hardware, wifi support, ipod support, usb support,
digital camera, and so on. The idea that it's more
secure should be presented, "you won't have to bother
about virus" kind of message (and all other "pros" on
using it and not using anything else). Nothing too
technical, just what you would see on a MacOS or
Windows ad on non-technical magazines, newspaper. The
boxes of distros and software in general can give some
hint. I never bought Windows or Linux, not a game fan,
so I don't have a box here to give an example. But I
guess I was clear(?).

 Print on newspapers first, then go to other types of
media? As I said, it would be really good to have all
the initial ads on the same day, and I think we have
to think big. One ad per continent, on a big
newspaper? Of course, because of the differences in
prices, the ads do not have to be of the same size.

 The people on the list and (some of us may know an
advertising executive, that person could give tips)
the other people we ask to join.

 One for sure could be half a A4 paper, to print at
home and spread everywhere. The other two depends on
how much it costs to advertise on the
newspapers/magazines we elect. Maybe on US the ads are
cheaper, -for instance-, so there's a bigger one.
Maybe on France the "ideal" newspaper, chosen by
someone from there, ads are expensive, so to put the
ad on the same day the others, we have to use a
smaller ad. So that's why I see 3 ads, with the same
idea and message, on for the streets, and other two,
one big the other small. To have the actual sizes, we
have to do some research.

 That what I said above.
----
On 8/28/06, Joey Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:

    Gustavo Franco wrote:
    > What do you think if we start asking for
donations to a Debian Etch
    > release ad in something big in the press and
Linux related ? This idea
    > is similar to what Mozilla did for Firefox, but
i would prefer avoid
    > use the donated money in a non-linux
communication channel.

    Interesting idea, something like the Spread
Firefox campagne.

 Lauro: If so, how about talk to them, the
coordinators of the campagne, to learn with their
experience, contacts, etc.

    However before I'd like some general questions:

    . What would we want to achieve with the ad?

spread the word that there's a new release of the
universal operating
system and you can use it now on your servers and
desktops.

    . Where should it be printed?

dunno.

    . Who prepares the ad?

us, after all this mailing list aims to make Debian
famous[0]. :-P

     . How large should it be?
       (Maybe smaller depending on less money?)

I think at least a page or half. It would be good if
we can put it in
more than one media, IMHO.

    . What exactly should be referenced?

dunno, but maybe we've somebody here 'in the loop' on
the ad thing. I
will prepare a image soon, just a sketch.

regards,
-- stratus
-----
What's the target audience?
---

  Now just me (Lauro)

 I think it's interesting to fill the existing gaps
between our ideas, to have a base set of goals, so we
can define tasks and who is doing what. Once we have
more information, we can ask people for money. Many
sites can do that for us: mention there's a group
working on get all set to the put ads on as many
countries as possible when the next stable Debian is
released. Gustavo, I guess br-linux.org and PSL-*
could help on that, what do you think?

 some tasks: research prices, prepare the prototype
ad, see what's the best way, to have all money going
to on "paypal" account, or more (I don't know about
taxes, if one place we define needs more money, and
other continent has some money they won't use, to
balance the budgets), define the initial list of
countries where the ad will go.

 Lauro

Você quer respostas para suas perguntas? Ou você sabe muito e quer compartilhar seu conhecimento? Experimente o Yahoo! Respostas !
http://br.answers.yahoo.com/