Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:32:26 -0500
From: Matthew Graven <Matthew_Graven@zd.com>
Subject: Debian GNU/Linux
To: webmaster@debian.org
Cc: Info@debian.org

Hello, I'm the Staff Editor for the software team at PC Magazine and we're
doing some preliminary reasearch for a story on Open Source Software.  I'm
hoping you can help me out with a few questions, or at least direct this to
a person on the GNU/Linux development team that can help me out.

1.  Who is the contact that we should be using?

2.  What is the current version of Debian GNU/Linux?

3.  Is there a planned upgrade?  When will that be available?

4.  What are the key features of GNU/Linux?

5.  What is the pricing for the product and what does that price include
(i.e. manual, support)?

6.  What applications are bundled with it?

7.  Can you please send us 3 copies on CD-ROM, complete with documentation
for review purposes?
          Matthew Graven
          PC Magazine
          One Park Avenue
          New York, NY   10016

Thanks for your help,
Matthew Graven
212-503-5209

----- End forwarded message -----

2.  What is the current version of Debian GNU/Linux?

Version 2.0.

3.  Is there a planned upgrade?  When will that be available?

We are currently testing version 2.1. It should be available in January 1999.

4.  What are the key features of GNU/Linux?

Upgradability. Once a machine is set up, you simply point our package manager
at your favorite mirror site and upgrades are a snap.

Stability. People find our releases extremely stable with very few surprises.

Legacy software. We support old binaries as long as needed. Even though we have
converted to libc6, we still support libc5.

Support. Through our user mailing lists and IRC chat channel we provide excellent
support for users.

5.  What is the pricing for the product and what does that price include
(i.e. manual, support)?

Debian creates the distribution, but we don't sell any CDs ourselves (although some
of the developers do through their own companies). We try to keep good relations
with our vendors and the disks sent to you have been provided by _________.

We provide no hardcopy manuals. The installation manual is available at
http://www.debian.org/2.0/install [do any of the vendors provide much in the
way of paper docs?]
Once installed, there is a plethora of documentation available on the machine.

I do not believe that any of the vendors provide support with the purchase of a
CD set, but you can get plenty of support through our user mailing list
or the many companies that provide consulting for Debian
(see http://www.debian.org/consultants/).

6.  What applications are bundled with it?

Debian provides over 2500 packages with the distribution. Of course, that list
includes web servers (including apache), web browsers (netscape installer, mozilla),
development tools (gcc, gdb),
[need to build that up some more]

I'd like some feedback so our reply is well written and geared towards the type
of people that will be reading it.

Jay Treacy