Re: Evolving away from source package realms

Didier Raboud wrote:
> The last aspect would also be to completely remove the source-package-level
realms; within a subset, there would be no package-specific maintainers or
vetoes; disputes would move "out" from source-package-level to subset-level.

Uhm. This makes me wonder what the real goal of this proposal is.

Is it about restricting the ability of DDs to upload any package
(something that has never really caused any real issues so far as I'm
aware)? Or is it really about having a way to work around
uncollaborative maintainers of specific packages?

If it's the latter, I'm afraid it could have more negative effects
than positive. While "package-specific maintainership" does have its
problems, it is essentially what has been keeping Debian working until
now. People take care of their packages because, well, they're their
packages. If packages aren't assigned to maintainers anymore, I fear a
situation of "it's everybody's responsibility, therefore it's nobody's
responsibility".

There are in fact many team-maintained packages, and that's working
well, but it works because people *voluntarily* agreed to collective
maintainership, and those teams are usually rather small anyway, with
an even smaller number of people taking the lead. Those will still
have veto power.

Gerardo