Re: Request to Mini DebConf Montreal Organizers: Fight Israel not the DC20 Team

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:37:23AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
>
> > If you have 80-90%+ of parliament, from pretty much all parties, agree
> > on something, then it *is* pretty much as uncontroversional as it gets
> > there.
>
> This is an entertaining example to use in a project whose mission is free
> software.  I'm pretty sure that by that standard it's entirely
> uncontroversial that Windows is the best operating system, that software
> copyright has no social downsides, that software patents are a good thing,
> and that proprietary software companies are a vital backbone of the
> economy.
>
> I can assure you, as a US citizen, that the idea that BDS is inherently
> antisemitic is very controversial in the US.  Your beliefs about the
> political consensus in my country are uninformed.  Political consensus in
> the US is not well-represented by voting ratios in Congress, particularly
> in the absence of a lot of complex context.
>
> I will not try to tell you what the consensus is in Germany since I'm
> obviously not qualified to do so.

The irony here is that he finds himself qualified to say that it's
uncontroversial in Canada, and then he cites a source that starts like this:
"Ontario’s legislature rejected the Boycott, Divest and Sanctions (BDS)
movement in a controversial vote..."

This thread is so much wrong.

Peace,

--