Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 10:49:12AM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> No, either we have a CoC or not.
> If it goes so much against your believes, humanity or whatever else,
> that you can't answer in a sane language, ask somebody else to answer
> in your name. Especially when you are in a team that wants to keep
> the CoC upright.

If one focuses on Tina instead of looking at Gerardo's history of
behaviour on Debian list, and is actually in common faith trying to make
sense of an extreme reaction, I suggest these links for a bit of
context:

 * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
 * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_policing
 * https://blog.valerieaurora.org/2019/01/09/repost-how-calls-for-civility-are-harming-tech-companies/

TL;DR: there is a widespread form of oppression which consists in
politely but relentlessly asking minorities to justify themselves.

As long as we allow it to happen in Debian list, as I observe that we
do, I do expect that somebody loses it at some point. I believe that the
person who engages in sealioning, and those who enable them to continue
doing so, should at least get to share in the blame.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>