Re: enforcement first, ask questions later?

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 08:38:54AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> It is a fact that both Lamb and de Blanc have stated at various times
> during 2018 that they didn't have time to talk to people. It is also a
> fact that multiple people have complained that Debian leadership figures
> are too busy to talk to them.  Is it acceptable for them to skip over
> talking to people and rush to enforcement simply because they are busy?

Yes, it is.

The first duty of the DPL and any delegates is to the Debian Project as a
whole, not to any individual developer.  If the appropriate delegates have
determined that an individual developer's behavior is damaging to the
project, they are absolutely justified in enforcing first.

Restorative justice is a worthwhile goal, but it is a luxury.  It is not the
responsibility of the Debian Project to rehabilitate every contributor who
it's determined has overstepped boundaries.  Even ignoring the effect of bad
actors, that constitutes an open-ended committment.  And even if the
project's representatives HAVE made a committment to rehabilitation, it is
STILL acceptable to enforce FIRST if in their sole judgement this is
necessary in order to limit any ongoing damage.

If you don't understand this, then it is unsurprising to me if enforcement
escalates.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/