Re: About the recent DD retirements

Hi,

Paul Wise:
> The difference is that your x86 laptop will get supported by the Linux
> kernel community during its lifetime but your ARM devices probably wont.

which creates a lot of culture clashes, when people who come from the mobile
phone background try their hand at non-mobile devices. This creates a lot of
pain for people who need newer kernel features and suddenly discover that
they can't.

Odroid computers are a good bad example. I'm sure there are more.

> I'm not sure that is something that is fixable. It is simply more work
> to care about licenses and license compatibility, to package deps
> separately, to do security audits, to do QA on packages and code etc.

The problem is that, while the cumulative work caused by your lazy
packaging often exceeds the time you'd have to do, it's distributed across
too many people for the pain to become severe enough.

I could spend a month or two, porting the Odroid hacks to a newer kernel,
but it's far easier and cheaper to just use them for whatever old jobs
they're still good for -- and buy something else to solve the needs-a-
-new-kernel problems.

Arguably, the library problem is worse: the kernel people, at least, _try_
to be as backwards compatible as possible.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs