Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Nikolaus Rath

> > - You can use an IP anonymizing service such as Tor.
>
> Are you suggesting to download debian packages over tor? Last time I
> used it, I got about 25 kB/s of bandwidth. But even if that has changed,
> I'm pretty sure the tor network isn't intended for bulk transfer of the
> debian archive...

«such as».  They're not the only one, and I wasn't suggesting running a
full mirror over it.  Downloading your daily package updates over it is
likely to be slower than your regular network connection, but when I
just tested it was at the level of some megabits.

If you're actually seriously concerned about privacy and worried about
government-level organisations using package download data for tracking
you, you should use something like tor, yes.  I personally think that's
overly paranoid, but I'm not going to tell people they're not allowed to
turn their paranoia dial all the way up.  (Using paranoia here for lack
of a better word; no disrespect meant.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen