Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Paul Wise

> About the archive mirrors, some reworded thoughts from the DPL IRC
> channel when this came up a few days ago:
>
> <pabs> [...] I think the current state of affairs is fine;

I don't believe you're one of the person who is doing the legwork in
maintaining any of the CDNs we're currently running, so how would you
know that?  Because it's not visibly broken (most of the time)?  I see
it breaking on a weekly basis, if not more often.

> [...] Removing the mirror network won't be possible anyway, people are
> still going to create mirrors, especially ISPs will for their
> customers; due to quotas and distant mirrors being much slower.

Nobody has suggested removing the mirror network.  What's being
discussed is using a CDN for some .d.o services.  If somebody wants to
continue running their mirror they will of course be free to do so.

> <bgupta>Not all CDNs support IPv6.

We will want to use CDNs that do support IPv6.  It's one of the
technical bits that need to fall into place before we will want to
switch.

> I would rather expand the mirror network.

Does that mean you're volunteering for the task of doing this and
maintaining the various existing CDNs?

--
Tollef Fog Heen