"Press path" (Re: Paths into Debian)

Hi Daniel,

On 2013-09-22 06:46, Daniel Pocock wrote:
[...]

On 29/08/13 20:39, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

It also briefly mentions the "fundraising path" and the "press path",
which are rarely directly accessible for newcomers. Your talk shows
improvements which could be done to our roads and to our maps:
http://www.debian.org/intro/help
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
The "press path" has some risk associated with it

Look at the "Jayme Diaz" video to see an extreme example of the press
cutting someone to pieces.

Each path has some associated risk.

I'm not sure what parallel can be drawn between the video and Debian. Debian doesn't have interviewers (officially anyway). If you mean that Debian contributors could make mistakes when being interviewed, live interviews are rare, usually with the DPL or some veteran contributor, not with the kind of people we mean when discussing paths into Debian.

The only way to deal with that is to either have people who know their
topic inside out (e.g. because of long time Debian/free software
involvement) or engaging experienced media handlers.

The risk I do see in the press path is a contributor releasing an incorrect or otherwise damaging piece of information. But this is not something really hard to deal with. Minimal PR reviewing guidelines were suggested on the debian-publicity mailing list a couple of years ago.

--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com