Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On 06/14/2013 09:52 AM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Manu Sporny
> <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> A deeper discussion of the social concerns and solutions with
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/deity/2013/06/msg00054.html
>
> I thought this was pretty shallow, but anyway:

Well, I meant deeper than the introductory e-mail about the topic. :)

> I believe its in some sense our responsibility to also collect the
> information of how to show appreciation for the hard work of
> everyone involved in this project.

+1 - If we can get this right, we can make it easier to donate in a way
that is equitable. There are a significant number of organizations that
spend most of their donations on administrative staff to do funding drives.

PaySwarm allows you to see exactly where your money is going. We did
this by design in order to ensure transparency for people that want it.
The one down-side to sending money to an organization or a foundation is
that you have no idea where your money goes after you send it. More below...

> This especially means though, that it must be very very very clear
> who is the receiver of the appreciation. I would personally be
> surprised if the maintainer of package XYZ is getting a share via
> "apt-donate xyz '5 coins'"

Yes, exactly right. PaySwarm lists every single entity that will receive
funds. If there are 50 maintainers and upstream authors listed with
varying amounts, the donor will be able to see exactly where every
single bit of their donation goes (if they want to see the details).

There is a video demonstrating what a purchase looks like from the browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02vX36Ntxxk

and what one looks like from the command line (note the list of who is
getting paid and how much they're getting paid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEUnX-H2Qc

How you specify the entities being paid, which will be visible to the
person doing the donation, is outlined in this blog post:

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/04/payswarm-part-2/

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/