Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

Hi,

> AFAIK there was an offer of a huge "anonymous donation", which at the end
> seemed more a loan, and IIRC to speed up the process and not let discuss
> about lack of money. I don't know the source and I don't know if there was
> string attached.
> Anyway that offer endured only few days because debconf-team and localteam
> declined such offer.

This is correct. After this was mentioned on IRC I asked about the
details of this 'donation' and figured out it's just a loan, accepting
some risks though, but with strings attached: The venue would need to
be LeCamp.

This looked like a lot more problems to me than it would solve so I
proposed to cancel this ASAP and that's why I sent the email which was
already mentioned in this thread.

> There was an other small anonymous donation (which was initially classified
> as "anonymous sponsorship", but this was a small amount, not very different
> to the other donations received by Debian. No strings attached. You should
> see it as a small donation because our high value in software (and it is
> also free as free beer!), but without going to the full bureaucratic
> procedures of a big company and without a public endorsement "Company A
> uses/support Debian".

This is correct and this is quite usual. Some person X has his own
budget in a company which he can spend, but he's not allowed to
publicly use the name of his company in relation with an event without
going through the whole process.
This donation comes with no strings attached.

> I've not yet seen other anonymous donations.
> But if I'm wrong, i encourage the other localteam/debconf-team members to
> correct me.

regards,
Philipp Hug