Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@debian.org>, 2012-03-23, 14:28:

>> Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honour diversity
>> in age, culture, ethnicity, genotype, gender identity or expression,
>> language, national origin, neurotype, phenotype, political beliefs,
>> profession, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status,
>> subculture and technical ability.

> What is neurotype? I couldn't find it in any dictionary.

A general term for a way of mentally processing the world that avoids the
rather loaded assumption that all divergence from neurotypical is an
illness.  Examples of neurotypical diversity (of varying degrees of
variation from neurotypical) are introversion, autistic spectrum, or
multiple personalities.  I know we have Debian Developers who are at
various places on the autism spectrum, and I suspect a *lot* of us have
personal experience with being introverted in a world that expects
extroversion.

> What does it mean to "honour diversity" in genotype or phenotype?

In this context, it generally means being accepting of non-traditional
gender presentations, whether genetic (XXY genotype, etc.) or behavioral.
It's not limited to gender, but that's where it most frequently comes up.