Re: git-copyright-scan: find authors missing from DEP-5 debian/copyright

Le Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:21:49PM +0300, Timo Juhani Lindfors a écrit :

> 2) DEP-5 does not specify the format of Copyright: lines, only that each
> copyright holder should be on its own line. It would be nice if at least
> the simplest cases used a canonical "Copyright X, Y, Z Foo Bar
> <foo@bar.example.com>" format.

Dear Timo,

if DEP-5 specified the format of Copyright lines, then in many cases it would
not be possible to cut and paste verbatim the upstream notices.  This would
result in extra work to produce debian/copyright files with a valid
machine-readable syntax, which I think would be a strong barrier to the
acceptance of this format.

This said, it is part of the DEP process that accepted proposals can be revised
after enough use experience has been gathered.  So if you would like to
advocate standardisation of the contents of the Copyright field, my suggestion
would be to collect feeback about the format you propose, then to promote it
through the use of your parser, and to the developers of other parsers, and
then when the DEP is revised, provide some numbers summaring how widely used in
the copyright files is the format you propose.  A revised DEP could for instance
promote this format.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy