Re: DEP5: Making "Files: *" non-optional

On Mon, Sep 13 2010, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> On ma, 2010-09-13 at 09:06 -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         Currently, one only needs to list the copyrights in the package,
>>  without specifying  which file each copyright applies to. How is that
>>  specified in DEP5 format? Implying that all copyright notices apply to
>>  all files would be an untruth. (Or are we expanding the requirements
>>  for copyright files to map copyright notices to files in the source
>>  package?)
>
> There is a consensus, as far as I can see, to allow the first (header)
> paragraph to have Copyright and License fields that will apply to the
> package as a whole, rather than to each file. This is an upcoming change
> that is in the pipeline (but I don't want to make all changes at
> once).

        As far as I know, I don't have a single package for which a
 copyright field applies 6to all files in the source package (I might
 have missed one, but I think not).  I don't think I have a copyright
 notice that applies to a package as a whole, but I am not a lawyer. If
 a source package is an aggregated work, with bits of the package coming
 from different sources and authors, not all copyright notices apply to
 the whole package.

        In such a case, how can I not have, umm, the first paragraph? :-)

>>         I would suggest that a missing files: field in the headers
>>  implies that no statement is being made about which files the copyright
>>  notice applies to, instead f  implying it applies to all files.

> On the other hand, this means a paragraph where the Files field is
> missing by mistake will be interpreted wrongly. I find putting the
> information in the header paragraph to be cleaner, but I admit it is a
> subtle point. It's better to be explicit when possible, to allow errors
> to be noticed easier.

        Can we explicitly specify a way of saying that we wish to make
 no statement mapping a copyright or license field to any file?  Say, by
 saying

File: UNSPECIFIED

        or something?

        manoj

--
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but its the only one we've got.
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C