Re: Acceptable license restrictions for Non-Free sofware included in Web software package?

"Haakon Flage Bratsberg" <haakon.bratsberg@opera.com> writes:
> Opera Software is investigating whether we should change our
> distribution policy to allow redistribution of our Opera Desktop web
> browser.
>
> We appreciate any advice on what you regard as acceptable license
> restriction for being included as No-Free software in your web
> software  package <http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/>.

Thanks for your interest. Debian/non-free is pretty much free of
requirements, so there is not much to do. The current Opera license does
not allow redistribution, which obviously needs to be changed. Other
than that, you just need to find someone with upload rights to the
Debian repository to maintain it.

If this would work out, it would probably be a good idea to disable the
auto-updater in Opera itself to display a "please update opera using
apt-get upgrade" (or something along those lines) message instead.

Kind regards,
Marc Brockschmidt