Re: Debian money

On 2009-09-09, Steve McIntyre <leader@debian.org> wrote:
>  1 New hardware / equipment
>
>    a The DSA team have a wishlist of new hardware they'd like, along
>      with a set of donated machines that need configuring and/or
>      shipping. As far as I'm concerned, so long as the individual
>      requests here look reasonable then they get approved as and when
>      they happen.
>
>    b Maintainers of big packages might benefit a lot if we can
>      loan/donate big machines to them to make things faster. Should
>      be an easy thing to work out - nominate such people please!

Yep. Both of them is interesting.

I would personally like to be able to rebuild kde in half the time I
currently spend on it.

>  2 Fund developer gatherings:
>
>    a Teams interested in a face to face meeting to work on their part
>      of the project should be provided a simple way to get funding for
>      transport, lodging and food. Sounds like a good plan, and we're
>      already doing this quite a lot, including sponsorship from
>      various people like Extermadura.

I also think this is a good idea.

>  3 Legal costs
>
>    a Pay for legal advice if needed. We have some cover for legal
>      advice via SPI, but we may need to ask for more than the pro bono
>      services might be able to give us.

For some things, especially where it can free up loads of developer
time, I think this is a very good idea.

>  4 Marketing stuff:
>
>    a box(es) of equipment to take to stands at various shows and
>      expos. Might be useful, but could be expensive. Where do we store
>      it/them? Who organises shipping?

If there is volunteers for the two last options, I think it would be a
very good move. When I have seen a debian booth at places it might have
a t-shirst shop and maybe some cd's and some flyers, but normally nothing 'running'
debian.
When I see a KDE booth, they have 3-5 computers showing off the greatest
and latest of KDE.

>    b ads in the media in various places? Very expensive imho, so I'm
>      not convinced. How much money do we spend?

I don't think this is a good idea.

>    c marketing to new developers: posters to put up at universities?
>      T-shirts or other gifts for new people working on bug-fixes,
>      translations etc.? Could be useful, but again expensive.
>      Thoughts?

I have sometimes felt like I wanted to show some kind of appreciation of
some people doing more than I expect from them. Currently, the only
"token of appreciation" I have is to thank them on my blog.

>  5 Pay people to do stuff we don't/can't/won't:
>  6 Fund other related projects
No thanks.

/Sune