Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Luk Claes<luk@debian.org> wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 29 July 2009, Meike Reichle wrote:
>>>
>>> The Debian project has decided to adopt a new policy of time-based
>>> development freezes for future releases, on a two-year cycle.
>>
>> Disappointing to see such an announcement without any prior discussion on
>> d-project, d-devel or d-vote. Some explanation of how and by who this
>> decision was reached would be appreciated.
>
> The Release Team proposed a plan in the keynote at DebConf. There were some
> important considerations, but in general the audience welcomed the plan.

It is quite strange, in my POV, that it wasn't discussed with main
teams (kernel, X, KDE, GNOME, d-i, ...) inside of Debian.

We all know that even Debconf has a lot of people most of those
projects hadn't people attending to the KeyNote and then this is not
the proper place to _propose_ a plan. This is suppose to have been
sent to debian-devel-announce, discussed and then after all announced.

AFAIK the main point of communication for Debian Developers are
debian-devel-announce and debian-announce. I was surprise that a
KeyNote is not a formal way of making proposals and GET resolutions
done.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br