Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:47:16PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Stop whining, volunteer to do the work. ftpmaster did ask a *lot* of
> times for volunteers to help with that. What we got have been a handful
> of people only. Some dropped out due to lack of knowledge, most to lack
> of time. As of now we only have *one* left doing ftptrainee. (having
> good chances of getting ftpteam sometime soon if it continues like it).
>
> We *happily* accept everyone as trainee that does not get a NO from the
> existing team[1] and let them do trainee work. Have 5 til 10 hours a
> week? Can deal with the points written down in [2]? Mail us.

Heya, thanks for your answer.

That you have repeatedly called for help is certainly true and has all
merits. FWIW, I remember having pointed that out myself on list at an
iteration of the "NEW queue lamentation" shortly after your first call
for help.

Giving how much time has passed since your first call for help
however, I think it's time to ask ourselves *why* not enough people
did apply. Read on.

> [1] There are always people one can not or will not work with. AFAIR we
>     denied (only) 2 or 3 people at all until now.

Full ACK on your position on this, you (as in "FTP masters") have the
right to choose who you want to work with and I don't even think you
are too picky.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 08:58:47AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I think that the lack of manpower shows that you place the bar too
> high. You are looking for full members of the FTPmaster team, which
> creates some needs for programming skills. One does not need to
> modify the source of dak to accept a reject a package?

This, however, sounds like a good reason for few application. You are
basically requesting people, most likely already involved in Debian
and doing that in their spare time, to have to offer 5-10 additional
hours per week, to know as much programming languages as possible, and
(IIRC) to know the dak code base and be willing to work on it.

I'm sure you've your reasons, but I must confess I don't understand
them, given that the NEW backlog is chronically high. What would you
say of setting up a specific call for help on NEW review requiring
either less time-commitment or less varied skills? At that time, if
manpower *for NEW review* will still be low, your "stop whining, help
out" argument would really be unbeatable.

Cheers.

PS I'm also a bit saddened of not having seen in this thread mentioned
   that less then a month ago NEW queue was *empty* and IME processed
   daily, at least for a while. That was amazing, and kudos to FTP
   masters for that, too bad the manpower is not enough to keep that
   standard