Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

Le Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:16:46AM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> I think, and I believe the ftpmasters would agree, that they will
> enforce project consensus provided that it doesn't strike them as
> legally dangerous or otherwise seriously problematic.  I would rather
> have a consensus than a dictated policy.  More people involved means
> more insight into the challenges of different types of packages.  As
> we've already seen with previous iterations of this discussion, it's too
> easy to draw conclusions based on the vast majority of tiny packages and
> create situations that are untenable for the small number of huge
> packages we have.

Hi Russ,

I would say that on the other hand, in the absence of clear guidelines, people
can be tempted to over-do the work in debian/copyright to “play safe” their
upload to the NEW queue. After dozens of uploads, I have not finished to
reverse-engeneer the thoughts of the our archive's managers. For instance, one
of my first packages had in its source some headers where Upstream forgot LGPL
statements in an otherwise GPL context. Despite that it is anyway allowed to
turn LGPL into GPL, the package was not allowed in Debian until the presence of
LGPL statements was properly documented in debian/copyright. Now I see in our
archive xsettings-kde: it is derived from a BSDish program, xsettings, and was
GPLed by dropping a copy of the GPL license in the source.  The package was
accepted without mentionning the BSDish license. I am all for simpler
debian/copyright files, but why was I required to do more work than the
maintainer of xsettings-kde?

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xsettings-kde/xsettings-kde_0.9-1/xsettings-kde.copyright
http://svn.mandriva.com/svn/soft/theme/xsettings-kde/trunk/

I really think that we need some clear guidelines, that of course are friendly
to large packages.

For instance, it was unclear in the DEP5 discussion if we only need to list the
license, or if we have to indicate which files they were found in (as it is
done in the example provided on the latest published guildeline, see the URL
below). Can we have an answer about this?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy