Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:35:14AM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> It is generally perceived that there are currently a couple of
> problems with the way discussions happen on our mailing lists:

I'm not sure yet if I like the idea, but for sure it is an intriguing
one, thanks for pushing it through! I'll for sure follow its
evolution.

> I believe that at this point Nick Rusnov, John Goerzen and myself
> have expressed interest in working on the first stage of the
> project. If you have any ideas or comments - please share, we would
> also welcome your contribution if you decide to help out with it.

For weird reasons, yesterday I thought about something similar, but
with a worst key idea behind it than yours. (Note that I'm _not_
actually proposing what follows, read on.) I was simply thinking at a
moderated shadow list for -devel (or whatever other list), to which
people can independently subscribe. Each post to the shadow list goes
to -devel, each post to -devel goes to the shadow list but it is
subject to moderation.

Now, I like your mechanism way more than moderation, because yours is
self-regulating. Still, a problem I spotted with the shadow list also
affects your mechanism, namely: context loss. What if a very
bad/unpolite/rude/useless message gets scored down (which is quite
probable) whether a nice/constructive/ polite response to it gets
scored up (which is as probable)? People only following the "good"
messages will experience context loss receiving a reply to a message
they are missing.

In a sense, it seems to me that the mechanism work properly only if we
switch in mass to it.

It is probably a negligible problem and I don't think it hinders
attempting an implementation of your idea, but still I'm curious if
you've thought about it and came to a solution.

Cheers.