Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:20:37PM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > Note that the whole point is to know that the person in question shall
> > know his/her limits, and know who to ask when in trouble. Not everybody
> > should be a top class programmer if what he/she'll ever do is packaging
> > pure perl extensions. OTOH the first time suck a package will be native,
> > I expect him/here to document him/herself and if unsure to go to the
> > right people. That's only an example of course, there are dozens of
> > examples of such people nowadays that I trust with their judgements to
> > not do anything foolish, beyond what they understand.
>
> Sounds just as great as "all packages are well maintained because they
> have maintainers knowing their limits and not packaging stuff they lack
> skills to support".

I'm not sure it's related. I mean, I know what you mean, and I agree
with you, but I don't think that following what Ganneff proposes helps.
NM currently doesn't test candidates technical level, it tests their
patience threshold.  Though, the "automatic-MIA" checks liw proposes
could help for many of those. A bit. But really I think the problem is
just orthogonal.

My experience is a social system works better if you make optimistic
assumptions and have somme feedback controls to "fix" the biggest issues
(read, lower the barrier and tests to be a DD, but make it easier to
override the most clumsy choices), than to make the barrier higher and
not address the issue that problems still will exist. In that sense, the
"veto" thing could prove an efficient tool. IOW hysteresis-based systems
are better than strict bars (meet cpt obvious).

I'd also add that we have efficiently vetoed a couple of people from DM
this way, and it was, I believe, an achievement (even if it was somehow
hurtful for some of them, it was a good thing for the project). We've
not been able to reject all of them from NM.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit