Re: Re-thinking Debian membership

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 07:59:58AM +0000, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 03:53:46PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > pe, 2008-10-24 kello 12:18 +0200, Peter Palfrader kirjoitti:
> >
> > The rationale is simple: to avoid concentration of power into the
> > hands of the few, and keep it in the hands of everyone. Since I
> > believe the decision on someone's membership should be collectively
> > in the hands of all the members, I don't think the task of editing a
> > keyring should be restricted to one or a couple of people.
>
> That sounds a bit too extreme to me. [1]

Depends how you "restrict" editing the keyring. I'd say that adding a
key shall go through keyring-maint (a bit like DM works nowadays). It's
not a complicated job, you mostly have to count points, and ask people
to motivate their choices and to keep that record. E.G. it would be this
person task to be sure A veto against B is on technical or trust reasons
rather than a dislike of B.

Updating one's own key on the other hand, or replacing signatures, or...
should be a task than one's should be able to do on his own. Only if the
old key is invalid for some reason (key was revoked, expired, whatever)
then yeah, we should not let that people do it either.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit